Nestled at the junction of the Rock Island Railroad and the Minneapolis / St. Louis Railway, Grinnell is the largest community in Poweshiek County.
This “Jewel of the Prairie” is home to manufacturing, communications, and, of course, Grinnell College. With accolades ranging from being one of America’s most walkable hometowns to being the Third Coolest Small Town in America, Grinnell has made a very conscious effort to create an fun, active, creative community.
Grinnell recently gave its downtown a major facelift, with charming brick crosswalks, the familiar “jewel” design at intersections, and ample parking in front of its vast downtown businesses. The town features an active community theater and a strong focus on the arts, including classes in theater, crafts and languages.
Things to do in Grinnell
- The Grinnell Farmers Market celebrates local food and crafts every Thursday and Saturday during the growing season (May through October).
- Head to the Grinnell Games! This annual weekend family sports festival includes the fan-favorite Imagine Grinnell’s Half Marathon and 5K Run, as well as the Twilight Bike Cirterium, the Twilight Trail Run, the Amazing Chase, and the Warrior Run. Complete with sidewalk sales, family-friendly events, beer garden and live music, the Grinnell Games is a community-organized event with statewide appeal.
- The Drake Community Library is a great source of kids’ programming with story times and after-school functions. Adults can benefit from its vast titles, classes, and book clubs.
Grinnell Fun Facts:
- The town was originally meant to be named “Stella”, but Josiah B. Grinnell convinced the other members otherwise.
- Grinnell’s location on the rails made it a stop on the historic Underground Railroad.
Aventure Staffing is proud to support several Grinnell-based companies and small businesses with their staffing needs. If Grinnell sounds like your dream hometown, let Aventure pair you with your dream job. Call us today!