Winter is coming, and that means a tough wake-up call for even the most enthusiastic outdoor exercisers. Get your burn on while you work and torch calories right from your desk—and get paid for it! Here are five great low-profile exercises you can do throughout your workday.
- On hold? Then hold! When a phone call drolls on without need for input, use the time wisely with isometric exercises. Choose from glute squeezes, calf flexes, and stomach tenses (also called “sucking it in”), set a timer for 10-20 seconds and hold for the entire time. Release and repeat. Then press 2 for more options.
- Give yourself a raise. Leg raises under your desk are a great way to tone your quadriceps. Alternate legs or hold them both up at the same time, hold for one count, and shoot for 15 reps. If this isn’t difficult, try adding ankle weights or slip your foot through your briefcase or purse handle.
- Shake hands on it. You are committing to fitness, so you might as well make it official. Sit with feet flat on the floor and clasp your hands together so that one thumb points up and one points down. Grip tightly as you try to pull your hands apart. You should feel this in your biceps and across your upper back. Hold for 10 seconds and repeat, switching hand positions as necessary.
- Walk the walk. Rather than dial an extension, walk to your co-worker’s office and have a face-to-face conversation. Make a point to increase your daily activity by using restrooms on different floors (take the stairs!) and parking on the opposite side of the parking deck. Literally go out of your way to get your job done.
- Make a stand. Did you know that long periods of sitting are linked to an increased risk for diabetes, cardiovascular disease, and obesity? Humans weren’t made to sit for hours on end—so don’t. Take a stand and start increasing your daily calorie burn immediately.
If you are still having a hard time fitting in these exercises, set up recurring appointments in your phone or desktop calendar to remind you to stretch, take a break, or walk around the building. Every little bit helps!